Strange as it may sound, the universe is aware of itself—through each and every one of us. Consciousness has been a core mystery of the human experience ever since our rise into sapience, and The Library’s virtual aisles are filling up (admittedly at a glacial pace) with various perspectives on this wondrous phenomenon.
However! Remember to remain grounded and humble. The moment you get too serious about all this, you’ll miss the point. Consume the information as you would music, not gospel; as a neo-Buddhist sci-fi romp through the embryonic Gaian hive mind as it awakens and comes to terms with its own existence. Play with it! Have fun! Tease it a little! But don’t for a moment delude yourself into believing that it’s anything other than entertainment. Just rummage around, sync up your neural net with some far-out intellectual artistry, and admire mental sculptures of cosmic proportions!
Welcome to the collective! We’re so thrilled you’re here :)
P.S. Visit www.organism.earth for a meditative audiovisual experience of these ideas.
P.P.S. Have a suggestion? The Library is actively looking for female and POC viewpoints on this subject matter, as they are abysmally underrepresented. Feel free to contact u/CuratorOfTheLibrary on Reddit with your pointers and recommendations.
- Time Stamps are provided alongside each paragraph for most audio and video transcriptions. Clicking on the time stamp will automatically begin playing the media file from that point on.
- Quotes are noteworthy passages in documents that have been selected by the Curator of the Library for their insightful content. In case the neon-yellow color is too aggressive for you, you can hover your cursor over the text selection to make it go away.
- The symbol in front of a quote indicates that you can click on the quote to directly jump to that part in the media file.
- Wikipedia hyperlinks in the text can be previewed by hovering your cursor over them.
- Media playback speed is adjustable with CTRL + ⬆ and CTRL + ⬇ keyboard commands. [This is still an experimental feature. On some browsers this may interfere with already existing key commands.]
- Audio files are encoded using the open-source .ogg file format. Please ensure your operating system has an .ogg codec installed and that your web browser can handle this format (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are compatible).
|Cumulative media runtime||11 days, 22:03:21|
|Unique page views||507,521|
- A wonderful network of close friends and family :)
- Text editor: Sublime Text 3.
- Database management: DBeaver.
- Hosting: Dreamhost.
- Know-How: MSDN Web Developer Guide.
- More know-how: Stack Overflow.
- Some specific know-how: HowCode.
- PHP know-how: PHP.net
- AlanWatts.org. Mark Watts has generously digitized his father’s lectures and insights. Please help him out.
- The Internet Archive.
- Typography: My own layout design populated with Google WebFonts: Alegreya, Dosis, and Roboto Mono.
- MathJax for the mathematical typography.
- mhchem for MathJax for the chemical typography.
- Icons: FontAwesome.
- The hive mind that created HTML5, CSS, PHP, MYSQL, and all other logic languages in existence.
- Everybody keeping the internet (Global Brain?) running.
- Everybody who keeps those people going.
- And all the rest, because it takes every one of us to make this social organism work.
- A planet with a stable(-ish), non-hostile biosphere (Can we try to keep it that way?).
- A magnificent and awe-inspiring universe.