Strange as it may sound, the universe is aware of itself—through each and every one of us. Consciousness has been a core mystery of the human experience ever since our rise into sapience, and The Library’s virtual aisles are filling up with a variety of perspectives on this wondrous phenomenon.
However, it’s best to take it all with a grain of salt. The moment you get too serious about all this, you’ll miss the point. Play with it! Have fun with it! But don’t for a moment think that this is anything other than entertainment. So go rummage around, sync up your mind with some far-out nuggets of intellectual artistry, and admire mental sculptures the size of the universe!
- Time Stamps are provided alongside each paragraph for most audio and video transcriptions. Clicking on the time stamp will automatically begin playing the media file from that point on.
- Quotes are noteworthy passages in documents that have been selected by the Curator of the Library for their insightful content. In case the neon-yellow color is too aggressive for you, you can hover your cursor over the text selection to make it go away.
- The symbol in front of a quote indicates that you can click on the quote to directly jump to that part in the media file.
- Wikipedia hyperlinks in the text can be previewed by hovering your cursor over them.
- Media playback speed is adjustable with CTRL + ⬆ and CTRL + ⬇ keyboard commands. [This is still an experimental feature. On some browsers this may interfere with already existing key commands.]
- Audio files are encoded using the open-source .ogg file format. Please ensure your operating system has an .ogg codec installed and that your web browser can handle this format (Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are compatible).
|Total word count||2,678,722|
|Total audio and video time||7 days, 16:59:07|
|Total unique views||308,464|
- A wonderful network of close friends and family :)
- Text editor: Sublime Text 3.
- Database management: DBeaver.
- Hosting: Dreamhost.
- Know-How: MSDN Web Developer Guide.
- More know-how: Stack Overflow.
- Some specific know-how: HowCode.
- PHP know-how: PHP.net
- AlanWatts.org. Mark Watts has generously digitized his father's lectures and insights. Please help him out.
- The Internet Archive.
- Typography: My own layout design populated with Google WebFonts: Alegreya, Dosis, and Roboto Mono.
- MathJax for the mathematical typography.
- mhchem for MathJax for the chemical typography.
- Icons: FontAwesome.
- The hive mind that created HTML5, CSS, PHP, MYSQL, and all other logic languages in existence.
- Everybody keeping the internet (Global Brain?) running.
- Everybody who keeps those people going.
- And all the rest, because it takes every one of us to make this social organism work.
- A planet with a stable(-ish), non-hostile biosphere (Can we try to keep it that way?).
- A magnificent and awe-inspiring universe.